If you're anything like me January will have been a failure. Now it looks like February will have been too.
Now, in the period of Lent some of us aim to give something up, or abstain from something. Chocolate. Alcohol. Fatty foods. Bad language. Of course these intentions are largely destined to failure, much the same as all those things I promised myself for the virtuous month of January.
My aspirations were not very demanding. Exercise more. Drink less. Stop smoking, or at least cut down. The method was easy: Doing some exercise will make me want to smoke less and exercising in the evening will eat up valuable drinking time. However, it seems that my motivations are more heavily weighted on the side of vice, i.e. I started to think that doing exercise would eat heavily into my social life.
You might ask yourself 'why did he bother to set any goals at all'? Well, I think it's a mixture of guilt and worry. Guilt that everyone else seems to be 'more healthy' and worry that unless I start now that I never will - and that will lead a decrease in the quality of my life later on, or simply a decrease in my life expectancy.
It's not like I'm the most unhealthy person on earth. I eat really well: I have a very balanced diet - rich in vegetables and home cooked food, low in unnecessary fat, preservatives, high in vitamins. I do exercise now and then: I'm always walking. Occasionally I swim or cycle. But, like most people these things are easier when the weather is bright and warm. Not so good then in the British climate.
So, what's my new plan? Going to the gym, regularly. Not to 'bulk-up' and become a Muscle Mary. Not to spent hours of my life pounding the running machine and listening to my iPod. That stuff is so antisocial. I have decided to join somewhere where I can improve my overall health and keep on top of things. Somewhere I can relax, or work-out, play squash or go to a fun (but hard work) class like Zumba or Boxing fit.
Depending on what kind of thing you're looking for and the kind of membership options that suit you - join or pay-as-you-go at your local community fitness centre - or join a private gym. I joined Nuffield Health, which also has a network of private hospitals, as I really liked the Health MOT aspect. Lots of gyms offer this now but they don't offer the full range of clinical expertise that Nuffield Health does and also - if I get more healthy in the next few months they'll give me a month absolutely free! This make sense to my wallet as well as my waistline.
If you're not sure about the commitment, I would recommend getting a free day pass so you can try out the facilities for yourself or if you're quick, you can access the facilities for free this week for three days from Wahanda's website.
Monday, 22 February 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment